From: The Associated Press
Published Wednesday, October 23, 2013 11:01AM EDT
Doodles is believed to be one of 580 dogs in the U.S. that have died in the past six years from eating pet jerky from China. Baffled by the cause and seeing another surge in illnesses, the Food and Drug Administration reached out to owners and veterinarians Tuesday to help it find the poison behind the sickening of at least 3,600 dogs and 10 cats since 2007.
Within hours of eating the suspect jerky, pets lost their appetite, became lethargic, vomited and had diarrhea and other symptoms. The strips made of chicken, duck, sweet potatoes or dried fruit were sold under a variety of brand names.
There was a decrease in 2007 after some products were voluntarily removed from the market, but the FDA said it didn’t want to conduct a recall without a definitive cause. Those products included Milo’s Kitchen Chicken Jerky Treats and Chicken Grillers, made by Del Monte, and Waggin’ Train and Canyon Creek Ranch dog treats, made by Nestle Purina.
My comment from this news is that we should ban any and all food imports from China. Human or Animal. They are a serious lack of respect for human (or animal) life as far as Chinese manufacturers are concerned. They are only interested in lining their own pockets with a quick buck. Too bad….
Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/u-s-fda-warns-pet-owners-of-dangerous-jerky-treats-for-cats-dogs-1.1509579#ixzz2k88RqOie